It is common for people to experience occasional feelings of stress and anxiety during their everyday life. Despite being common, feeling stressed and anxious can be a very isolating experience where you may feel that you are alone. It is important to remember that you are not alone in how you feel and that there are ways to help manage the anxiety you are experiencing.
- Practice Mindfulness. Many people find practicing different mindfulness techniques to be an effective way to help manage their anxiety. Some examples of mindfulness techniques are practicing yoga, meditation, and breathing exercises.
- Keep a journal. When keeping a journal, it can be therapeutic to express the feelings you have in words or to reflect on past moments in your life. Similarly, journaling about aspects of your life that you feel grateful for can be a helpful technique to allow you to feel more grounded.
- Avoid caffeine. Caffeinated drinks such as tea or coffee can exacerbate feelings of anxiety.
- Stay physically active. Not only is exercise beneficial for your physical health, trying to exercise regularly can serve as a helpful outlet for feelings of stress and anxiety.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Eating a well-balanced and healthy diet allows your body to be supported nutritionally.
- Get enough sleep. It is important to allow your body to get the rest it deserves. Try to maintain a regular sleep schedule and get enough hours of sleep every night.
- Reach out to someone. At times when you are feeling overwhelmed and stressed, try reaching out to your friends and family to let them know how they can help you. If you find that your anxiety impacts your quality of life and prevents you from functioning normally, seeking help from a mental health professional to help manage anxiety symptoms is recommended.